How do I import a report in text format into Excel?
Posted by Z-Lori Crowell on 06 February 2008 05:16 PM
To import a text (.txt) report into Excel:|
- Download the text file to your computer (e.g., Desktop)
- Open the Excel program and, from the menu bar, click on File > Open
- A dialog box will appear.
- Ensure the Look in: box contains the location of the file that you want to import (in this case the Desktop) and change the Files of type: box to list "All Files (*.*)". The text file (.txt extension) you want to convert should be visible.
- Click on the text file and then on the OPEN button.
- A Text Import Wizard will appear.
- Ensure the radio button next to Delimited is checked and then click Next.
- Step 2 of the Text Import Wizard window will appear.
- In the Delimiters box, uncheck "Tab" and place a checkmark next to "Other:". In the space next to "Other:" enter the pipe symbol ( | ). This can be accomplished by holding down the shift key and pressing the "backslash" key ( \ ).
- In the Text qualifier box, ensure there are double quotes ( " ) listed and click Finish.